WikiWatershed is a web toolkit designed to help citizens, conservation practitioners, municipal decision-makers, researchers, educators, and students advance knowledge and stewardship of fresh water. WikiWatershed an initiative of Stroud Water Research Center, a global leader in freshwater science.

Delaware Basin EnviroDIY Monitoring Stations

Weekly Reports

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Jim Moore
    Participant

Dave-

I attached a spreadsheet with the data from PTC-1 and PTC-2 and a word document with a GE map locating the two sensor sites.  PTC-1 is the one you saw at the culvert under the turnpike.

I am not sure how to enter the data in the portal.  I tried to use:

1. Create an account, then register your data logger and sensors.

But I got an error telling me my email was in use so maybe I am registered. Any guidance on this process would be appreciated.

David Bressler
      Participant

Jim,

You’d have to format the data very specifically to enter to Monitor My Watershed right now.  Shannon and Sara are still working out the bugs on this but hopefully we will have guidance on this formatting soon.  Also, Shannon will be reformatting Mayfly boards at some point (hopefully soon) so that the data files from the SD cards can be directly uploaded without any manual reformatting.

Thanks for the data – I’ll take a look.

Possibly Sara or Shannon can provide some updates on the questions about uploading to Monitor My Watershed.

Jim Moore
        Participant

I’ll will await further guidance on the data formatting issues but I assume it will be a .csv text file.  Shouldn’t be a problem to change the code in the PTC Mayflys to conform to the correct format.  My access is currently manual meaning I have to visit the site and swap out sd cards.  However, my next project is to go wireless using the XBee modules.  I plan to confer with Shannon on that project.

I think the SL149 EC spike was Rt 401 salt runoff rather than turnpike because the timing doesn’t make sense otherwise.  Is there a way to superimpose multiple SL’s on the same time series plots in wikiwatershed?  It would be interesting to be able to see the timing of these spikes as they work there  way downstream.

Of course the larger question is what is the environmental impact of these runoff spikes, if any, since it ultimately runs into the ocean which is pretty salty to start with!  The environmental impact may be what’s left behind to infiltrate the soil?  This was the issue that was discussed at our PTC strategy meeting a few months ago.

Carol Armstrong
          Participant

Here are a couple of recent open access articles on the impacts of elevated salinity on our freshwater streams and biology:

John Jackson and David Funk’s article on mayfly responses to elevated salinity at:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rstb.2018.0081

and

Kaushal et al.’s paper on the freshwater salinization syndrome:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rstb.2018.0017

Heather Brooks
            Keymaster

@moore, regarding the login process on Monitor My Watershed data portal: you said you received a message that your email was already registered. On the login page, at the bottom of the form there is a “Forgot Password?” link. If your email address is indeed registered, when you click that link you should receive an email that will allow you to reset your password and then log in.

We’re just beginning to build out the help documentation for Monitor My Watershed. The Help link in the main menu on Monitor will take you to the WikiWatershed Help page, which is where we keep documentation for all of the tools in the WikiWatershed toolkit.

Jim Moore
              Participant

Heather-

I tried to reset my password as you suggested but doesn’t work and I get a “504 gateway time-out”.  I am logged in as moore (Jim Moore) on this forum.  Is the data portal a different account?

I am using Chrome on a MacBook (10.13.6)

<center></center>

Heather Brooks
                Keymaster

Thanks for bringing this up. We realized that people were confused about where the different WikiWatershed tools “live” so we recently changed logos and URLs to make it clear that there are separate websites. WikiWatershed.org (the website this group resides on) will continue to be the entry point to learn about the various tools. The data portal resides at MonitorMyWatershed.org and the watershed modeling app resides at ModelMyWatershed.org. And as you know since you have posted there, EnviroDIY is also a separate website.

Unfortunately, we do not have a shared login system across the websites. You will need to create a separate account on each website that you join.

Is http://monitormywatershed.org/login/ the one that told you that your email address is already in use and that is giving you the 504 Gateway error when you try to reset your password? If so, I will report the problem to that development team.

Jim Moore
                  Participant

Heather-

That was what gave me the 504 error:  See attached screen shot

But as you explained I need to set up a separate account for the data portal.  I tried this and that’s when I got the error “user with this email already exists”.  See attached screen shot.

Heather Brooks
                    Keymaster

Thank you. I was able to replicate the problem and have reported it to the development team on GitHub. I will let you know when I hear back.

Carol Armstrong
                      Participant

Today is 2/22/19.  Please note that the table in the attached report gives a simple √ if there are no concerns with the sensors or battery.  The yellow highlighted √* indicates there is a problem that would affect the data, and/or the battery’s voltage could result in failure.  Generally there has been an increase in fouling because of the large storm event on 2/20-21, though many managers/volunteers have cleaned the sensors.  Also the two recent storms brought historic increases in conductivity likely from salt flowing directly to the streams without soil infiltration.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 164 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.