WikiWatershed is a web toolkit designed to help citizens, conservation practitioners, municipal decision-makers, researchers, educators, and students advance knowledge and stewardship of fresh water. WikiWatershed an initiative of Stroud Water Research Center, a global leader in freshwater science.

Delaware Basin EnviroDIY Monitoring Stations

Website Q & A

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Heather Brooks
    Keymaster

I just received an email question about file size limits on forum attachments. We’ve recently increased the file size limit on attachments to forum topics and replies — you can now attach up to six files and each file can be up to 8MB in size. This should be okay for cell phone photos but it won’t be enough for all but the shortest videos. At this point we are not allowing larger file uploads due to concerns about storage limits. One way around this would be to upload videos you would like to share to your own account on YouTube, Vimeo, Google Drive, etc. and then insert the link in your forum topic.

If you forget it, the attachment file size can always be found above the attachment section when you’re writing a forum topic or reply.

Heather Brooks
      Keymaster

I’m getting reports that members have recently received an error message when uploading files to the group  — not as forum attachments but when adding them to the “Uploaded Files” area (the link to the right of “Forums” in the group menu). The error message says something along the lines of “502 bad gateway” or “The page request was canceled because it took too long to complete.”

It’s important to note that, despite the error message, the file uploads are being successfully completed. I will troubleshoot the problem but wanted members to know that they can still upload files.

David Bressler
        Participant

The file size limit for “Uploaded Files” is 50MB and should accommodate most PowerPoint presentations.

To compress a powerpoint file that is larger than 50MB do the following:

1. Open the presentation and click on any image
          2. Under Picture Tools > Format, click Compress Pictures
          3. Uncheck “Apply only to this picture”
          4. Ensure “Delete cropped areas of pictures” is selected
          5. Select Target output: E-mail (96 ppi)
          6. Click OK

David Bressler
          Participant

Heather,

I’m having trouble uploading a powerpoint – it’s too large, but I’ve already compressed it.  Is there anything else I can do?  The compressed file is 55,659 KB.

Heather Brooks
            Keymaster

The upload limit is in place to keep the website running smoothly, so let’s look at an alternative to uploading those huge PowerPoint files. Converting a ppt or pptx file to a PDF before uploading will result in a much smaller file size that won’t have you bumping up against the limit. It will also allow viewing without Microsoft Office, e.g. on a mobile device.

If you don’t need to copy the notes in your PowerPoint, conversion is as simple as opening the PowerPoint file and clicking File > Save As and then choosing Save as type: PDF.

If you want to include the notes in the PDF,

• On a PC select File > Save As > Save as type: PDF, then click the Options button, and under Publish Options select Publish what: Notes Pages.
              • On a Mac, you can try the instructions in the reply section of this Microsoft Support thread. (Disclaimer: I don’t have a Mac to test this on.)

If those instructions don’t work for you, I would suggest a quick Google search for “save powerpoint as PDF with notes.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.