WikiWatershed is a web toolkit designed to help citizens, conservation practitioners, municipal decision-makers, researchers, educators, and students advance knowledge and stewardship of fresh water. WikiWatershed an initiative of Stroud Water Research Center, a global leader in freshwater science.

Delaware Basin EnviroDIY Monitoring Stations

The Path Forward: Governance and Policies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Bressler
    Participant

Purpose:  Discussion of the future of the network

Paul Wilson
      Participant

As we discussed at the last meeting we need to start thinking about the path forward as Stroud reduces it’s role in the network moving forward. I had suggested that we might gain useful insights from the Global Lakes Ecological Observatory Network or GLEON (http://gleon.org/). Unlike NEON this is a grass roots ecological observatory network. So, I think it is more applicable to our situation. I’ve contacted some folks I know within GLEON to see if they could share their ideas on how to form a successful grassroots ecological observatory network.

Hopefully this section of the forum will provide for lively discussion to help us continue to communicate, collaborate and support each other for decades to come.

Paul

Paul Wilson
        Participant

Folks I heard back from Paul Hanson at GLEON. Here are his thoughts…

“One thought would be to have a few folks from DRWI
          attend the next GLEON meeting, which will be in Canada in fall 2019.
          Details will be online soon.

If there’s one lesson that’s above all others we’ve learned in GLEON, it’s
          to focus on the people of the organization ‹ getting them involved,
          empowered, and committed. This is done through shared leadership (three
          standing committees ‹ steering, collaborative climate, and student
          association), and involving the community in running the annual meetings,
          and having them lead the science, education, and outreach. We have a
          representative governance structure and operating principles and
          procedures designed specifically for our grassroots network (see:
          http://gleon.org/about/vision-and-mission). You are welcome to crib from
          any of our documents. As part of the empowering approach, we’ve put a lot
          of time and effort into supporting the GSA (GLEON Student Association).
          Students are a source of energy, creativity, and productivity, not to
          mention future leaders of GLEON and affiliated organizations…

…Might be easier to have a teleconference about this, if you think that might help.”

You can see the specifics of the GLEON structure at…

http://gleon.org/about/vision-and-mission

We’ll need to chart our own path but this gives us something to think about. Here are my thoughts on the path forward….

1)    Organize a committee to discuss how the network will look after Phase II (III??) of the DRWI

2)   Have a group go to the 2019 GLEON meeting (I’m a member so I’m happy to be one of these)

Let me know what you think folks. And Happy New Year 🙂

Paul

Anonymous

This is an excellent resource for modeling and advice. I like the emphasis on student involvement and community based leadership. As Stroud moves forward it seems control of the workshops and meetings should be redirected to have others start heading them up.

David Bressler
            Participant

Paul, this GLEON approach seems to mesh nicely with how we’ve naturally been progressing.  The emphasis on individuals is great and the committee format seems like it would work well in our context.  I think our initial plans to do workshops this year that are facilitated by Stroud AND other groups will be a good start.  To that end I’m going to start a new topic in the forum for us to begin planning workshops for 2019.  Scheduling quarterly user group meetings, possibly with different themes, will be a good start.

Paul Wilson
              Participant

Sounds like a good plan. We’ll just start taking slow steps forward.

David Bressler
                Participant

ISOTURE volunteer model

Pennsylvania Organization for Watersheds and Rivers (POWR) recently hosted an informative webinar by Suzanna Windon, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Youth & Adult Leadership at Penn State University:  “Volunteer Motivations, Management, Recruitment, and Retention.”

The recording of this webinar can be found at:  http://www.pawatersheds.org/resources/education/

The ISOTURE volunteer model that Dr. Windon discussed seems like an excellent model for DRWI watershed groups to consider, in general and in relation to working with EnviroDIY monitoring stations.  See attached ISOTURE model

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.