The Water Quality mobile app is a water-monitoring data-collection and learning tool designed for use by educators and their students, citizen scientists, and researchers. The app helps users log and share data they collect in the field, interpret the data through learning pop-ups, and export it to create databases. As of 2020, the app is aligned with the Leaf Pack Network® (LPN).
The app is available for $4.99 for Apple and Android mobile devices. Apple’s Volume Purchase Plan, available to educational institutions and businesses, allows bulk purchases of the app. There is currently no option on the Google Play Store for volume purchases of the Android version of the app.
App sale revenue is used to make version updates, add new features, and support water education programs.
- Quick tips for using the app:
- Tap on any macroinvertebrate name to see more information.
- Tap on a measurement value to type a number in manually or to type a number outside the slider range.
- Tap on a measurement title for more informaiton.
- Tap on the latitude or longitude to type in a number manually.
- Use the lock switch at the top center of a report to prevent accidental changes.
- Tap the arrow at the top right of a report to export the report or print it to a wireless printer.
- Tap the camera at the top of a report to add or choose a photo.
- Need help? Submit a question through the contact form.
If you need to purchase multiple copies of the Water Quality app to distribute to classes or groups, you can do this through Apple’s Volume Purchase Plan (VPP). The VPP is separate from the Apple App Store and is available to educational institutions and businesses here. You will need to connect to an existing Apple School Manager or Apple Business Manager account or create a new one. Through the VPP:
- Purchases can be paid via purchase order.
- Purchases aren’t tied to specific Apple IDs.
- Purchases can be moved between devices and/or users.
- When you purchase content for your school or business, you can distribute your purchase directly to your users using the User Assignment and Device Assignment features of managed distribution, or the redemption codes feature of Apple Business Manager.
No known issues at this time. Please report issues through the contact form.
- On November 30, 2020, a brand new Android app was released. We will be taking down the old version. If you’ve purchased the app in the past you may be eligible for a free version of the new app. Apply here.
- On May 13, 2020, Apple version 1.9.1 was released with bugfixes for iPads. Note: version 1.9.1 will only work on devices running iOS 13 or later. iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus or older, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and the original iPad Air are not able to upgrade to iOS 13. If you have an older version of the app installed on one of those devices, you will not be able to update to version 1.9.1 but the older version will continue to work.