Macroinvertebrates.org is an interdisciplinary research and development effort to create an innovative resource for aquatic insect identification to support citizen science activities. This National Science Foundation supported project brings together expertise in entomology, learning sciences, software engineering, water quality biomonitoring, and design.
The following resources are available on the Macroinvertebrates.org blog:
- Printable dichotomous key for order level identification
- Printable order sheets for Ephemeroptera, Plecoptera, Trichoptera
- Printable poster with all 150 specimens in the macroinvertebrates.org collection
- Volunteer training deck (full 12 orders) and a Macros 101 deck
- Downloadable illustrations of 13 orders of benthic aquatic macroinvertebrates
- Selected images for download representing common orders used in training
- Beta version of a self-practice game for identifying macroinvertebrates
- Macroinvertebrates.org video tutorial
Learning Media Design Center at Carnegie Mellon University
CREATE Lab at Carnegie Mellon University
Stroud Water Research Center
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant #1623969. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of NSF.